Advanced Optical and Materials Coating
Proprietary Magnetron Sputter Deposition System and Process
Novel Coating System Producing Precision Coating on Polymers and Other Difficult Substrate Types and Shapes
Nanohmics has developed a custom Magnetron Sputter tool that produces robust, radiation-hard, optical coatings, primarily for polymeric Fresnel lenses and specialized infrared optics though numerous applications exist.
- Low stress deposition
- Uniform sputtering on complex shapes
- Improved optical performance
- Ability to coat polymers, metals, optics, and a host of other materials
Current commercial coating systems have difficulty producing high grade coatings without cracking and adhesion problems.
Nanohmics has developed a lab scaled deposition system and proprietary process for creating low stress, crack-free optical quality coatings on a variety of substrates, including polymers such as acrylics and polycarbonate..
NASA and optics makers are actively seeking a solution to the problem of optical coating of polymers. The ability would allow the production of lighter weight optics than glass, lowering expense of launch as well as cost of optic manufacturing.
Numerous optical component makers are interested in robust coatings providing reflective, anti-reflective, or bandpass features. These coatings can be placed on items ranging from ophthalmic lenses to IR laser cavity optics.
Markets that can benefit from the unique deposition capability include:
- Novel deposition system designed , fabricated, and implemented
- Low stress, high quality dielectric materials deposited on a variety of substrates including polymethyl-methacrylate (PMMA), polycarbonate (PC), and ZnS
- Deposit oxide and nitrides of Al, Si, Zr, Ti, Nb, Sn, and In
- Highly amorphous films achieved
- Excellent adhesion to most materials
- >90% uniformity achievedover300 mm
- Coatings pass MIL-C-48497A
- Presently using the technology to increase the strength of ceramic drilling materials.
- Exploring partnerships with optics manufacturers.
Current Commercialization Successes
Nanohmics has already secured contracts to test feasibility of producing coatings on substrates that have to-date been unsuccessful
- Optical Lenses – Testing underway for use inmirrors and lenses for the Extreme Universe Space Observatory (EUSO), as a hyperspectral coating for IR optics, and for ophthalmic lenses
- Several internal disclosures have been filed
- Preparing patent applications